Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Upcoming Guests and Humble Pie

Another short one today, I've been spending a lot of time poking around in one of the worlds I'm creating for a story (a futuristic city in which debates are held using dance instead of words), so not much time for blogging.

First, a heads-up on some upcoming guests. I've mentioned that Jean Henry Mead will be here this Friday for her blog book tour. And the week after that, Marvin Wilson, who you've probably seen lurking around the comments section here, will also stop by on HIS blog book tour for his spiritual novel, Owen Fiddler. Marvin is an all-around wonderful guy, fun to be around, always willing to lend an ear, and somewhat of a rogue in his field. On December 12 he'll share his thoughts on writing, spirituality, and Christmas.

And now, a bit about my big slice of humble pie. Hey emerging authors, want to get a reality check on your latest project? Get in touch with an author who has been publishing for a while, teaches workshops on writing, and holds no punches. Conferences and conventions work great for this. Then, have said author critique your work. It's completely different from doing a group critique among peers. Note: do this only if you're willing to make a complete writing overhaul. You'll realize how far you have to go, but hopefully, you'll have a clearer idea of how to get there.

5 comments:

Serena said...

I did this not too long ago with a poetry editor at a respected journal...it was eye-opening.

Anonymous said...

"somewhat of a rogue in his field"

LOL - I resemble that remark.

Agreed on the critique by a senior writer. When I was finishing up my Owen Fiddler ms I ran it by Peggy Ullman Bell, a woman who is multi-published in the historical fiction genre, been writing and publishing for four decades and a great poet also. She ripped it to shreds. I took her on as my editor and THREE MONTHS LATER she was satisfied with the way I was finally able to write and told me I had her permission to submit the work.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Very good advice, Emma. I was fortunate to have two award-winning authors take an interest in my first novel and offer advice and very nice blurbs. Fledglings should always take the advice of veteran writers who have made mistakes and learned the hard way.

Unknown said...

Story of my life - there is so much out there that needs to be learned that they don't teach in any class. Why am I just learning this now?

Jean Henry Mead said...

We all have to learn by trial and error, Emma. No teacher of mine ever prepared me for the hard knocks of the publishing industry. I've interviewed a lot of writers and most of the successful ones have said that it took them an average ten years to get up and running as a professional writer.